Brexit the latest resources to prepare your business
With Brexit talks ongoing, it’s important to prepare your business for all eventualities. The government and other organisations continue to issue advice for small business owners. To save your time searching, we’ve brought together some of the top Brexit resources from around the web.
The gov.uk/brexit website should be your first port of call. Complete an online survey about your circumstances (both personal and business) and you’ll be given a list of issues you need to be aware of, covering everything from roaming charges to patent protection. There are links to further reading as well as timelines for action.
Government advice by industry
You can also find specific guidance for your sector or business type. The full list is here, but here are some of the key pieces:
- Guidance for the consumer goods sector including information on import/exports, employees and regulations and standards. Click here.
- Guidance for the professional and business services sector including information on employees, operating in the EU, and the use of personal data. Click here.
- UK businesses trading with the EU will need a UK EORI number to continue trading if the UK exits the EU without a deal. Click here.
- Preparing to use the new UKCA mark (relevant to those products that have been using the CE mark). Click here.
- Food labelling changes after Brexit. Click here.
- Using personal data after Brexit. Click here.
- Intellectual property after Brexit. Click here.
- Operating in the EU after Brexit. Click here.
- Regulations and standards for product manufacturers after Brexit. Click here.
- A simplified customs procedure if Britain leaves without a deal. Click here.
The Federation of Small Businesses Brexit Pack
The FSB have put together a Small Business Brexit Pack covering everything from the withdrawal agreement to end state scenarios. The online guide also has plenty of practical advice for business owners.
Chambers of Commerce Brexit Resources
A good way to check you’re researching the right areas, the British Chambers of Commerce have some brilliant checklists and easily scannable documents that can guide you:
- Business Brexit Checklist – understand what changes may affect your business and plan accordingly
- Business Risk Register – understand the potential risks for your business
- Key Questions for No-Deal
- Withdrawal Agreement FAQs and Analysis
Enterprise Nation Brexit Advice Service
Enterprise Nation are also offering a Brexit Advice Service for SMEs with a handy tool that walks you through questions about your business step-by-step to recommend the resources you should read.
How to guides on YouTube
Tired of reading? HMRC have put up some handy guides on YouTube with great advice: